Saturday, October 1, 2011

What I Think About the Purity Movement

Anyone heard of those purity balls, you know the ones where the fathers and daughters dress up and go on a "date"?  Yeah I think it's odd.  Some of these girls are not even teenagers.  This is coming from a person who doesn't believe in premarital sex for religious and moral reasons.  Why the requirement that the father "guard" their virginity?  Can they not make a decision about this when they are older?
Now let's make one thing clear: I do not embrace the whole modern hookup scene.  I think that it is destructive and pointless.  I could go on and on about this but the point is that the purity balls are an extreme swing in the other direction.  I have nothing against purity pledges but they are not necessary.  This is something someone must have a desire to do.  No authority figure can make you follow through with something if it is not in your will.
Then there is the whole not touching the opposite sex before marriage if you are not related.  I know that Orthodox Jews follow this.  I would be interested if someone could explain how this is achieved?  As conservative as I am I have already broken this.  Does shaking hands in a formal situation count?  I guess you would just explain it to people.  Anyway, I guess the point of my rambling was that following God's laws about sexuality comes down to your desire to please God not that of your father.
Also, I do respect anyone who can do the no touching thing, I applaud you, having never been in a relationship, I cannot imagine what that is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment