Saturday, October 15, 2011

My High School Self

Who was I in high school? Pretty much the same person that I am today (with a little more maturity I hope!).  Probably could have called me a geek, dork, or perfectionist.  I was that shy, reserved person with the good grades, yet totally oblivious to social happenings.  I had a small groups of friends that were sort of like me, although most were probably more socially aware, shall we say.

I was the person that always made the honor roll and freaked out about grades below an A.  Yet, no matter how well I did it was never quite good enough.  My friends were always so much smarter than I was.  Unfortunately, I am much the same in college.  If I don't make dean's list it is awful for me.  I know, so dramatic, right?  I kind of take this as being a part of who I am.  Perfectionistic, uptight me.

Socially in high school, well I think you can guess from the description above, I was in my own world.  Didn't really notice guys too much back then, and if I did it turned out they were gay.  What luck!  Being socially awkward, I guess these things were bound to happen.  Somehow I managed to make friends, despite my shyness.  Dating was out of the question, although I doubt I could have found someone that matched me in many important areas.  Conservative Christians are not as plentiful as you would think.  Yes, sadly I still have this problem.  Don't know why talking to guys is like rocket science to me.

The one thing I loved about high school though was cross country.  When I first started I was the slowest person on the team, not having any other athletic experience.  The people on the team were really great people and I felt myself getting better and better with every practice.  I admit, I was in a lot of pain for the first couple weeks of training, but I loved it.  I went on to actually place in a race senior year and made states for the mile in track.  I also did many other races, including once walking/running 35 miles.  Yeah that hurt.

What was the point of all this?  I guess just so people could get a better view of me from a personal perspective.  I am not just some heartless conservative ya know :P.

What do you remember from high school?

No comments:

Post a Comment