Monday, October 17, 2011

Lying About Military Medals

That is right folks, there is actually going to be a court case about whether lying about obtaining military medals is a crime.  Here it is for your reading pleasure.

I will summarize, with my commentary of course.  A man from California is going around saying that he won the Medal of Honor.  Did I mention this guy is a public official?  The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals thought that his free speech rights were being violated, of course veteran's groups were outraged.  But it also clear that they think the guy is not right in the head.  Even better, the guy has a history of lying about himself.  He went around and told people that he was a professional hockey player and a police officer.  I don't see the problem with this unless he impersonates a police officer.  Thin line there, I know.

That is the very short synopsis.  Interesting case if I do say so myself. In the past, it seems that the Supreme Court has been split over cases concerning whether false statements like this are free speech  so I guess we will have to wait and see.  Of course I think this guy is off the rails.  Makes me wonder if there is some type of mental disorder here?  Of course, I think it is offensive at best to claim that you are a war hero when you are no such thing, but on the other hand the guy might be protected under the First Amendment.  Never thought I would see a case like this.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment